PN-G ISD Superintendent on Obama admin’s transgender letter: It’s going in the paper shredder

May 13, 2016 in News by Slad

Source: 12 News Now

(PORT NECHES) 

Port Neches-Groves Superintendent Dr. Rodney Cavness on Thursday slammed the Obama administration’s expected letter which is set to tell districts to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms of their choosing.

The letter, first reported by the New York Times, will reportedly be delivered to every public school in the country — including those in Southeast Texas.

The letter reportedly will warn school and district leaders if they do not allow transgender students to use the bathroom for whichever gender they identify, the schools may run the risk of lawsuits or lose funding.

The Times reported the letter would not have the force of law, but it would be signed by officials with the Department of Justice and the Department of Education.

Dr. Cavness did not mince words when telling 12News anchor Kevin Steele:

“I got news for President Barack Obama. He ain’t my President and he can’t tell me what to do. That letter (to be released to all public schools tomorrow) is going straight to the paper shredder. I have 5 daughters myself and I have 2,500 girls in my protection. Their moms and dads expect me to protect them. And that is what I am going to do. Now I don’t want them bullied… but there are accommodations that can be made short of this. He (President Obama) is destroying the very fiber of this country. He is not a leader. He is a failure.”

When asked if there was fear about molestation of children at the core of the superintendent’s concerns, Cavness said he did not feel that way.

“I would say about molesters — 99.9% (in the bathroom) certainly aren’t.”

The subject of transgender students and school bathrooms has become a hot topic in recent days.

READ ABOUT THE LETTER HERE: Schools must allow transgender bathrooms, Department of Education says

Earlier this week, Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick asked the superintendent of Fort Worth ISD to step down over new guidelines outlining bathroom use.

READ: Lt. Gov. Patrick calls for Fort Worth superintendent resignation over bathroom policy

Meanwhile, the White House said it would not withhold funds during the HB2 battle in North Carolina.  The Justice Department and North Carolina’s governor sued each other on Monday.

Also on Thursday, Texas Governor Greg Abbott announced his support for North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory, saying the two had been talking about how best to battle the U.S. Justice Department.


President Barack Obama has said he believes the law is “wrong and should be overturned.”

WCNC contributed to this report.